As reports that 50 Nigerians have been affected in the xenophobic violence in South Africa, the Nigerian government has concluded arrangements for the evacuation of its citizens from that country beginning on Monday.
Those interested in returning home have been advised to contact the Nigerian High Commission in South Africa just as the government had directed Nigerians in all troubled spots to close their shops, stay at home and stay out of trouble.

A statement issued by the Nigerian Office in Pretoria on Saturday called on nationals in that country to contact the office.

The acting Nigerian High Commissioner to South Africa, Mr. Martins Cobham, said on Saturday that the situation was being monitored on lower, middle and high threat and he emphasised the need for Nigerians in the country to avoid areas of imminent threat, abide by the laws of the host country and cooperate with local security agencies.

The President of the Nigerian Union in South Africa, Mr. Ikechukwu Anyene, said that at least 50 Nigerians were displaced at Jeppes Town, near Johannesburg.

"We met about 300 Nigerians in Jeppes Town, near Johannesburg who fled for their safety and about 50 of them do not have any place to stay.
“We are making arrangements with the Nigerian mission in South Africa to get them a place to stay for their safety,” he said in a statement.

"The Nigerian Union has also presented relief materials to those affected by the attacks and we are in touch with various branches of the union in the provinces on their safety and security," Anyene added.

According to him, Nigerian shops and businesses in Durban and Johannesburg had been looted and some burnt.

Anyene reiterated the union’s call to the Federal Government of Nigeria to put more pressure on the South African government to halt the attacks

Go to top